Board of Trustees
- Meetings are held every Tuesday of the month at 7 PM unless otherwise posted, in either a study session or regular meeting
- Canton Administration Building
1150 S. Canton Center Road
Canton, MI 48188
If you plan to attend a meeting, please call 734/394-5185 to confirm the meeting has not been canceled.
Agendas, Minutes, and Meeting Videos
Agendas are available prior to the meetings. Minutes are available following approval.
Closed Captioning provided by YouTube. Canton Township makes no guarantee that the captioning is accurate and shall not be held liable for any errors or omissions in the Closed Captioning. Questions regarding the Closed Captioning should be directed to Canton Township Clerk Michael A. Siegrist 734/394-5120.
The Board of Trustees is the policy making body for the Charter Township of Canton. The board meets under the rules of the Michigan Open Meetings Act, 1976 PA 267. Closed sessions, usually held prior to the meetings, also follow these guidelines. That means meetings are posted in advance and minutes are kept.
Board Meeting Participation Guidelines
- Public hearing: Once the public hearing is declared open, residents are invited to speak. Afterward, the public hearing is declared closed, and the board may take action on the item.
- Citizen's comments on agenda items: Residents who wish to comment on a specific action item may do so when the issue is being discussed by the board.
- Citizen's comments on non-agenda items: Residents who wish to comment on non-agenda items may do so at the beginning of regular meetings.
- Additional public comments: Citizens are given a 2nd opportunity to make any comments at the end of the meeting.
Meeting Participation Code of Courtesy
The board respects the rights of citizens to participate in the legislative process, and asks that everyone adhere to the following Code of Courtesy:
- Begin your comments by stating your name and address for the record.
- All public comments should provide a point of view, gain information, share a criticism, or express a concern.
- Be considerate of others who wish to speak by limiting your comments to a reasonable length. The supervisor may impose a 3-minute limit on individual comments when deemed necessary.
- At the supervisor's discretion, the forum portion of the agenda may be limited to 30 minutes.
Access to Public Meetings
The Charter Township of Canton will provide necessary, reasonable auxiliary aids and services to individuals with disabilities at the meeting/hearing upon notice to the Charter Township of Canton.
In accordance with the requirements of Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 ("ADA"), the Charter Township of Canton will not discriminate against qualified individuals with disabilities on the basis of disability in its services, programs, or activities. Employment: The Charter Township of Canton does not discriminate on the basis of disability in its hiring or employment practices and complies with all regulations promulgated by the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission under Title II of the ADA.
Effective Communication: The Charter Township of Canton will generally, upon request, provide appropriate aids and services leading to effective communication for qualified persons with disabilities so they can participate equally in the Charter Township of Canton's programs, services, and activities, including qualified sign language interpreters, documents in Braille, and other ways of making information and communications accessible to people who have speech, hearing, or vision impairments.
Modifications to Policies and Procedures: The Charter Township of Canton will make all reasonable modifications to policies and programs to ensure that people with disabilities have an equal opportunity to enjoy all of its programs, services, and activities. For example, individuals with service animals are welcomed in the Charter Township of Canton's offices, even where pets are generally prohibited.
Anyone who requires an auxiliary aid or service for effective communication, or a modification of policies or procedures to participate in a program, service, or activity of the Charter Township of Canton should contact the office of Kerreen Conley, Human Resources Manager, Charter Township of Canton, 1150 S. Canton Center Road, Canton, MI 48188, 734/394-5260 as soon as possible but no later than 48 hours before the scheduled event.
The ADA does not require the Charter Township of Canton to take any action that would fundamentally alter the nature of its programs or services, or impose an undue financial or administrative burden.
Complaints that a program, service, or activity of the Charter Township of Canton is not accessible to persons with disabilities should be directed to Kerreen Conley, Human Resources Manager, Charter Township of Canton, 1150 S. Canton Center Road, Canton, MI 48188, 734/394-5260.
The Charter Township of Canton will not place a surcharge on a particular individual with a disability or any group of individuals with disabilities to cover the cost of providing auxiliary aids/services or reasonable modifications of policy, such as retrieving items from locations that are open to the public but are not accessible to persons who use wheelchairs.
Canton Community Television
For those unable to attend, regular meetings are taped for later broadcast on Canton Community Television (CCTV). CCTV airs on Comcast (Channel 12) and Wide Open West (Channel 10) cable. Showtimes are at 9 p.m. until the meeting ends, on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. You may also request a copy of the show from Canton Community Television by calling 734/398-5241.